It’s a beautiful Friday in South Dakota, full of warm, radiant sunshine. Although that certainly wasn’t the case yesterday as I was driving with my windshield wipers on high fighting through sleet, rain and wind. But that’s the way it goes this time of year, with each day you never know what “Springtime” in South Dakota will feel like.
I featured a “Beef & Squash Spring Casserole” this time last year on the blog and I’m bringing it back again with a twist. These Spring Casseroles are inspired by the unpredictable weather that can have you grilling burgers in shorts and flip-flops one day and craving a warm comfort food the next. This is a quick and easy dish to throw together that’s nutritious, filling and full of fun-spring colors! Enjoy!
Layered Veggie & Beef Casserole
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium zucchini
1 medium yellow summer squash
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 1/2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°
2. Brown ground beef, draining and rinsing any excess fat. Season beef with your preferred salt-free seasoning, such as Mrs. Dash or any dried herbs.
3. Slice squash and potatoes into thin, even slices.
4. Spray an oven-safe cooking dish and layer potatoes and squash.
5. Cover with ground beef crumbles and top with shredded cheese.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is golden and potatoes are fork-tender.