Despite the cool temps and snow falling in some parts of South Dakota this week, Spring is officially here! Yes, believe it or not, warm summer days full of sunshine, grilling and garden fresh produce are near. My taste buds have been longing for summer fresh recipes and these beefy zucchini boats hit the spot!
This light and flavorful recipe is a great spring and summer dish to serve with a fresh fruit or quinoa salad! Lean ground beef will help keep you feeling satisfied and you can add in any additional ingredients you wish to fill your “boat”!
1 lb. lean ground beef
salt & pepper
4 medium zucchini
1/2 Cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 Cup red & green pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 Cup plain Greek yogurt
1 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Brown ground beef, draining and rinsing excess fat, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
3. Meanwhile, slice zucchini in half, lengthwise.
4. Using a spoon, scoop out the inside flesh of the zucchini. You can reserve the flesh and add it back into the ground beef mixture or freeze for future cooking or baking use.
5. Add mushrooms, peppers and onion to ground beef and let simmer over low heat.
6. Stir in yogurt and shredded cheese until fully melted and evenly combined. I like using plain Greek Yogurt when cooking as a healthy option to add creamy textures to recipes.
7. Lastly, add beef mixture to each boat and place on a baking sheet.
8. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until zucchini is fork-tender.
9. Slice and enjoy!