For many of us, this week was back-to-school. Eeeek! How did that happen!? But ready or not, let the madness begin! This school year, let’s make a commitment to not let our busy schedules keep us from preparing nutritious meals to fuel our star students. How will we do it? With some planning, the healthy benefits of lean beef and a little help from The Beauty in the Beef. Let’s make this school year one for the record books!
This week’s recipe would be a great start to a healthy school year. I wanted to feature a recipe that included all of the wonderful vegetables that are pouring out of our gardens this time of year. At the same time, I also wanted it to be a kid-friendly recipe and one that can be made in under thirty minutes or prepared ahead of time and warmed. I landed on these bad boys, “Garden Veggies & Beef Sloppy Joe Cups”. I’ll give them an A 😉
1 lb. lean ground beef
Garden vegetables of choice (I used squash, zucchini, bell peppers and mushrooms)
1 Cup tomato sauce
1/4 Cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp mustard
2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tube Pilsbury Artisian Multigrain Pizza Crust
5. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar and worcestershire sauce. Then stir into beef and vegetable mixture.
6. Unroll pizza crust and spread evenly using a rolling pin.
7. Using a pizza slicer, cut into 4 x 3 square pieces.
8. Layer bread dough into the bottom of a coated muffin tin.
9. Top with sloppy joe mixture and cook for 15 minutes.
10. Remove and enjoy!
*Note: I did have excess sloppy joe mixture after filling my muffin tins. That went in the fridge to serve on whole wheat slider buns for another meal! 🙂