Hello Friends! Thanks for coming back for a visit 🙂 I have a recipe this week that I’m certain everyone will enjoy! It’s a dish that tops the charts for “favorite foods” and my family can attest. We make pizza on a weekly basis in my home. It’s simple, delicious and when you prepare it yourself it can be very nutritious! Although frozen pizzas and delivery are both very convenient, they often lack the quality nutrients our body’s require. That’s what prompted this week’s recipe, “Pizza Bombs”. They are a fun and easy spin off of homemade pizza that takes a fraction of the time. And my favorite part about this recipe is that you can get the kiddos in the kitchen with you! Encourage them to add their favorite ingredients to make their own personal “bombs”! They’ll love helping out and you’ll be exposing them to basic cooking skills that soo many lack today (scary!!). And let’s not forget the nutrients this meal provides: protein, whole grains, dairy & vegetables! Serve with fresh fruit and you’re set! So have fun with this recipe and please share any comments or photos of you and your family enjoying your rendition of “Pizza Bombs”.
1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
1 tube Pillsbury Artisan Whole Grain Pizza Crust
Veggies of choice
Pizza Sauce (for dipping)
As I mentioned before, this recipe has tons of flexibility and can please some of the pickiest eaters out there (my hubby!). I’d recommend chopping up as much fresh produce as possible and let your family experiment! What an awesome opportunity to take in some extra veggies!!
Here’s a list of suggestions:
– tomatoes/sun-dried tomatoes
– greens (spinach, arugula, etc.)
1. Brown ground beef and remove any excess fat by draining and/or rinsing it.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Chop/prep your produce of choice.
4. Spray your non-stick muffin tin.
5. Roll out your tube of whole grain pizza dough and cut into cubes.
6. Layer the bottom of each muffin tin with 3-4 pieces of dough.
7. Cover the dough pieces with ground beef.
8. Add chopped produce over the ground beef and top with an additional 2-3 pieces of bread dough.
9. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and oregano.
10. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
11. Serve with a side of warmed pizza sauce for dipping.
I hope you all enjoy this recipe and it becomes a family favorite!
Serving Size 2-3 muffins
Fat: 10 g
Sodium: 275 mg
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Protein: 13 g